Tuesday, May 22, 2012

THE GRACE OF AGE

I took an elderly friend downtown, for groceries. She's a sweet lady. This got me to thinking about how life has a way of softening some people, while others remain, or get to be, mean and nasty.
Years ago, I worked at an irrigation company, as a bookkeeper. A well-to-do farmer came in, on a regular basis. I would see him, chatting with my boss, or when he was ordering parts. I had no reason, or opportunity, to talk to him.
One day, I was the only one in the office, as the rest of the crew was busy in the shop. The farmer walked up to the parts counter and stood for a minute before I went out to talk to him. He wanted to see my boss. I told him that I would get him, and could I tell my boss who wanted to see him.
The farmer's face grew red and he practically screamed at me, "I've been a customer here for YEARS. You should KNOW WHO I AM."
He then told me his name, which I never forgot. From then on I always thought, "Here comes that a_s h__e, Mr_____! No, I never forgot his name!!!
Many years later, I was coming out of the grocery store and saw a frail, bent over, gent being helped from a car. He walked carefully and shakily towards the door of the store. I recognized him as Mr.___. And I surprised myself by feeling such empathy for him.
I said, "Hello, Mr. ___."
He looked at me and smiled. "I'm sorry," he said. "I'm getting old and I don't recognize people like I used to. Will you tell me who you are?"
I gave him my name and we chatted for a few moments. He was just returning from Calgary, where he was taking treatments for an illness. He was staying with his daughter and they had decided to grab a few groceries before going to her place.
I shook his hand, and we said goodbye. As I turned to walk away, he said, "Thank you for taking time to talk to me."
I about fell over.
As this memory drifts through my mind today, I think how aging levels the playing field. And if we're fortunate, we are left here long enough to learn our lessons about humility.

Many blessings,

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ms. Christine,

    I am not sure whether or not you are the one who wrote the wonderful story "Diamond in the rough," from the 'Married Lifel' book of the Chicken Soup for the Soul Series. The story, however, touched my heart and soothed my soul in a very positive way.

    Best regards,
    Hamza Balol
    Saudi Arabia

    ReplyDelete

WAS THIS HELPFUL?